Monday, November 19, 2012

A Letter to Future College Students



           
Don't stress out like this guy, follow these tips
When I started college earlier this year, I had quite a few difficulties. From paying for classes on time, to moving in, and even stress over classes, this semester has run me ragged. It is times like this that I think to myself, “I really wish I would have known what I was getting into!” It would have been nice to receive helpful tips on how to deal with being a new college student. I am positive that I am not the only one who has thought this, so for the sake of others who are starting college soon, I want to give a few helpful tips on what to do and what to expect during your first semester in college.


One of the smartest things to do before you start college is to get your money situation under control. There are many ways to pay for college, from scholarships, to loans, or, if you are lucky, getting your parents to pay for it. However, the thing that matters most is that you pay early. Paying for your tuition and fees early eliminates any chance of getting cut from your classes for forgetting to pay (which almost happened with me), and helps you to better focus on classwork. For different reasons, you may not be able to pay in full before the semester starts, but it really is a good idea to get it done so no future problems pop up.
A typical dolly

The next tip I have is simple. If you are plan to live on campus bring a wheeled moving dolly on move in day! Luckily, I had one, and it saved me from having to do a lot of strenuous lifting and carrying. I put the boxes on and rolled it up to my room. In my opinion, a tool like this is crucial to having an easy move in, plus it is really fun to play around with!

 The last tip I have for you is perhaps the most important. The secret to success in college is good time management. College is going to be a lot more difficult than high school, so you are going to need to adjust accordingly. Studying for thirty minutes is not going to cut it anymore. As a University of Michigan website points out, for every one credit hour a student takes, he or she should study for two to three hours per week. For example, if you are taking twelve credit hours in a semester, you should expect to study for 24 to 36 hours per week. I know, this sounds like way too much studying for just a few classes, but it really does make the difference. Though you need to study as much as you can, you should not always be cooped up in your room looking over your books. College is the time to have fun, and it is a great idea to relieve some stress by unwinding with friends or getting involved in an on-campus group. Spending some time away from the books will keep you from going crazy and allow you to relax. I do have to warn you though, you must make sure that you maintain a good balance of studying and relaxation. If you do not, you will either tire yourself out from too much studying or not study enough, and both of these paths can create some big problems. Just remember, good time management is key.

I really hope that these tips can help you succeed in college. These are the kind of things that can help you make your college years a less stressful time in your life. Of course, there are many more tips on the web, like this tip list from Psychology Today, which can help you get through college. With all of this new information I have given you, I only have one more thing to say: Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment